7.09.2017

camp in the past tents







my beloved lemon dress: show me your mumu
my cute as hell swimsuit: aerie

Camp is where I'm my happiest, most exhausted, croc-wearing self. This was my 10th, and ostensibly last, year at 4-H camp. 10 years may seem like a long time, but camp is the greatest thing my allergic-to-the-outdoors self has ever gotten to work on.  I'll talk to a brick wall about how much I love this program and these kids. 

When I was 9 years old, I got on a bus with a bunch of strangers headed to a place full of mosquitoes and things that went bump in the night and a new kind of family. Ten years later, I'm the adult director, and I have the privilege of making sure that 80-something kids get that very same experience, and I'll never take that lightly. Every summer, I learned more about being a better human and am reminded of just how incredible the world can be, because 9 year olds won't let you forget. 

 I do have a couple of things to say for my walk-off speech:

To my twelve year old girls deck, thanks for still liking my bedtime stories and thank you  for not getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

To my 15 year old brothers, you guys are the worst and I wouldn't trade you for anyone. 

To my logistics crew, hammock life is truly the best life.

To all 82 children, 22 staffers, 10 chaperones, and Jen - 

who am I kidding,

I'll see you guys next summer.

x Justina

ps. to see more photos of my camp aka THE BEST TIME EVER click here 

follow A Bent Piece Of Wire on twitter|facebook|bloglovin

1 comment:

Tell me what I want to hear. Or what you want to say.

Just remember:

If you're mean, I'll track you down and replace all your shoes with those hideous white tennis things that are so popular among the very sad.